Bicycle Insurance for Chicago Cyclists—Navigating Coverage Options
With a focus on eco-friendly transportation, fitness, ease of use, and reducing or eliminating the need for a car, bicycling has seen a resurgence in popularity since 2010. Bike-only lanes are being built on many streets and cities are eager to receive a “bike friendly” designation from cycling organizations and enthusiasts.
With peddle-power going strong, it makes sense that so many cyclists these days are buying high quality, high-performance bicycles. But those bikes don’t come cheap. And they don’t come without risk.
- The FBI estimates 1.5 million bicycles are stolen every year. That’s an increase of 10%, while other crimes such as shoplifting, purse snatching, and pickpocketing have gone down.
- The CDC reports over 1000 bicyclists died in 2015. Additionally, there were more than 467,000 bicycle-related injuries.
At Thomas Ward Insurance Group, we understand the value you place on your bicycle and the fallout to you should it be damaged or stolen. We can help you navigate your way around the ideal bicycle insurance for you.
Get An Instant Quote For:
What we need to know
Most homeowner’s or renter’s insurance offer limited coverage for bicycles. If you’re interested in protecting your investment by obtaining bicycle insurance, there are several things you’ll need to know so that we can properly calculate your rate:
- Value: The stated value of your bike (either its current value or what it would cost to replace it) will help determine coverage and premium.
- Make and model: Some makes or models are more appealing to thieves and as such, can impact your premium.
- Type of riding: Are you riding paved park trails, commuting to work through city traffic, or mountain biking? The type of riding you do can make a difference.
- Accessories: A bike trailer, rack, lights, camera, or GPS bike accessory can also be covered for loss.
- Wheelsets: If you race and swap out wheelsets for training and riding, you’ll want to cover both sets.
- Uninsured motorist: As a bicyclist, the potential exists for injury in a collision with a motorist who does not have proper insurance. Uninsured motorist coverage is well worth considering.
Let Us Handle Your Bike Insurance Needs—Call Us for a Quote Today
It’s important to protect your valuable bicycle investment, whether you use your bike for pleasure or for commuting purposes. Our team at Thomas Ward Insurance Group knows the ins and outs of bicycle insurance and is happy to handle the details for you. Call 312.254.1500 today for more information or request a quote online.