Get Your House & Homeowners Insurance Ready For Winter
December 8, 2015
Use these winter prep tips and your homeowners insurance Chicago IL policy to get your house ready for the cold.
The dropping temperatures may be the perfect excuse to stay inside and enjoy a steaming cup of hot cocoa.Keep these winter prep and Chicago, IL homeowners insurance tips in mind before the snow starts falling. Before you can fully enjoy the season, there are some vital steps you need to take to your house ready for the coldest season of the year.
Start with the outside:
- If you have not already, clean out your rain gutters and check to ensure all your downspouts are facing away from the foundation of your house. This is also the best time to install gutter guards to keep debris out of your rain gutters.
- Trim your trees and remove any dead branches. Snow and ice can be too much weight for trees, causing the branches to break off and cause serious damage to your property.
- Seal any holes and cracks that you find in your foundation and outside walls. Keeping your house sealed tight will help to ensure that the cold winter weather does not make its way into your home.
When preparing the inside of your house:
- Keep your thermostat set to at least 65 degrees to keep you cozy and help prevent the pipes in your walls from freezing.
- Hire a professional to check your heating system to ensure it is working properly. Getting your furnace professionally serviced at least once a year will help to prevent any smoke and fire damage.
- Check all of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your house to make sure they are working properly. Replace any broken or outdated alarms to keep you and your family safe.
Most importantly, take a look at your Chicago, IL homeowners insurance policy to ensure that you are covered from any peril this season. Contact Thomas Ward Insurance for all of your Illinois home insurance needs.